Queensland Railways - 1460 Class - HO Scale
CLYDE ENGINEERING 1310hp CO-CO Diesel Electric Locomotive
(1460 - 1501)
Introduced in 1964, being locally manufactured at Comeng (Qld), these units were a further advance on the 1450 Class, with a more modern body style, two driving stations and capable of Multiple Unit operation. The introduction of the 43 locos in this Class heralded the phasing out of Steam Locomotive fleet on Queensland Railways. 1461 has been retained for preservation by QR Heritage
There are two versions of this locomotive. There is the original body design pertaining to 38 of the 46 units, and the dynamic brake version, which was first introduced on 1470 and 1471, and was also fitted to the last 6 members of the class, 1496 to 1501.
When manufactured these units were originally painted in the "early" colour scheme with "wings" on the light grey section of the rear body. However a change in painting design was to alter this to an angled slash from blue to light grey, defined by a 2" wide buff band. The large new "corporate" QR symbol was also then incorporated in this change.
Locomotive 1461 was originally delivered in the original blue scheme, but this was soon changed to the gold colour scheme, to enable the loco to take part in the Queensland Railways Centenary Celebrations in 1965. The locomotive was named "Centennial", and has remained in the gold scheme to this day. (The other companion Centenary Celebrations locomotive was English Electric loco 1281, which was due to be delivered just prior this event, and was subsequently named "Century" and was delivered direct from the manufacturer in its gold livery, from new.) "Centennial" has been retained and is in storage, whilst "Century" is now part of the display within The Workshops Rail Museum at Ipswich Qld.
It is believed that the original locomotive destined for this decoration was to have been classleader 1460, however she suffered considerable front panel damage when only 6 weeks old, after running into the rear of a stationary, disabled train, on a bridge just outside Laidley. Due to motive power shortages at the time, this damage was not fully repaired for some 12 months.
It is interesting to note that 1461 is the only 1460 class loco to have the wings attached to the front shield herald.
Another interesting historical point of interest also occurred at the Centennial Celebrations when the QR's premier long distance passenger train, "The Sunlander" arrived at Grandchester, hauled by the first two dynamic brake fitted Clyde's, 1470 and 1471, in the first multiple running of this pair.